Elementary (1st – 3rd)
Sunday, September 13
Weekly Parent Guide
Activity: It’s a Draw!
What you need:
Paper, pencil, and crayons, colored pencils, or markers
What you do:
Discuss the story, covering the following points:
1. King Saul had a son named Jonathan.
2. Jonathan’s best friend,David,was chosen by God to be the next king.
3. Jonathan gave David his belt, robe, sword, and bow as a gift.
4. King Saul was very jealous of David and planned to attack him.
5. Jonathan warned David that his father planned to attack him. Jonathan shot arrows into the field where David was hiding.
6. David understood his friend’s message and knew he had to leave—or else he’d be hurt by King Saul.
7. David and Jonathan said goodbye to one another.
Say, “What an incredible story! Jonathan was a good friend to David. What’s your favorite part of the story?” (Allow for response.)
Guide your child to draw and color a picture of their favorite scene from the story.
Talk about the Bible story:
How was Jonathan a good friend to David? (He honored David by giving him royal gifts; he created a plan to tell David that his father wanted to hurt him; he saved David’s life)
Do you have any friends who have helped you when you needed it? Tell me about it.
Say, “Jonathan helped David because they were friends. And real friends love one another.”
“God, thank You for being our Friend forever. Thank You for loving us no matter what. Help us to be a friend like Jonathan. Help us to be loyal, honest, and good to the people You have put in our lives. We love You. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.”