Preteen (4th – 5th Grades)
Sunday, June 21
Weekly Parent Guide
Activity: Phobia Pairs
What you need:
Pens or pencils
What you do:
Check out the following list of fears and definitions. Challenge your kid to see if they can figure out what each of the fears below are, and draw a line from the fear (on the left) to the definition (on the right). Then, do an internet search to see which ones they got right!
Talk about the Bible story:
- In the story, God told Ananias to go find Saul. Why was Ananias afraid to do that? (Saul had been arresting people who believed in Jesus)
- When Ananias found Saul, he placed his hands on Saul. What happened next? (Something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again)
- Who helped Saul get connected with the disciples and other believers? (Barnabas)
- What did Saul do as soon as he was accepted into the group of Jesus-followers? (He started telling others about Jesus)
- What do you think could have happened if Ananias and Barnabas had been too scared to give Saul a chance? (Saul might not have been accepted by the group of believers, and lots of people might have missed out on hearing the story of Jesus) o What are three things you’re afraid of?
- How could knowing Jesus help you face those fears?
“Dear God, it’s so comforting to know that You already know what we’re afraid of. You know when we
face situations that we’re scared of. And we know that You’re there to help us face those fears.
Remind us that You’re with us, especially when we don’t know what will happen next. Remind us that
You can help us face anything. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.”