Preteen (4th – 5th)
Sunday, October 4th
Weekly Parent Guide
ACTIVITY: Scenario Says
What you need:
What you do:
Tell your child that integrity means choosing to be truthful in whatever you say and do. You’re going to take turns reading a scenario from the list below. One of you will come up with a response that shows integrity, and one of you will think of a response that doesn’t show integrity.
(Make sure to take turns coming up with the positive response versus the negative response so one person isn’t exclusively thinking of negative reactions!)
- You find $10 in the couch cushions.
- Your promised you would clean your room.
- You said you would finish your homework but you really want to go outside and meet up with a friend.
- You are at a friend’s house when they start watching a movie that you know you’re not allowed to watch.
- Your dad tells you goodnight and asks you to read 30 minutes before going to sleep.
- You pick up your sister’s latest LEGO creation. A big chunk breaks off, and you can’t fix it on your own.
Talk about the Bible story:
In your own words, what do you think integrity means?
Why was Daniel taken to Babylon? (Daniel was taken to Babylon because King Nebuchadnezzar conquered Judah and marched all the people to Babylon to live)
How did Daniel and his friends show integrity during their training? (They didn’t eat the king’s food. Doing so would dishonor God because the food had been offered to false gods)
What happened when Daniel and his friends only ate vegetables for 10 days? (they looked healthy and well fed—they looked better than the men who ate the king’s food)
When can it be hard for you to tell the truth or show integrity? (Allow them to respond.)
Integrity is more than being honest. It is about being honest even if no will see or hear you being honest. (Share an example of an area in your life where you’re working on integrity.)
How can you work on integrity this month?
“God, You are faithful and never change! In everything You say and do, You have always been truthful! We can trust You no matter what. God, You made each one of us in Your image, and we want to reflect You to others. Help us to show integrity and be truthful in whatever we say or do. In Jesus name we pray. Amen”